Sunday, June 30, 2013

Keep Calm and Carry On

What is this?? This strange and unknown slogan at a time like this?? Where did it come from?? Well, I only had heard about it recently from watching a show about The Brit List coolest places, things, and people in pop culture.   Since I am an Anglophile, interested in all things British, and therefore moving to the UK, I wanted to find out more about this thing.

During World War II, the British monarchy wanted to bring about more interest to the war efforts during that time. So, the government created the Ministry of Information to create some posters to boost morale.

The first two were produced with King George VI's crown on it.  Along with those two, the third one displayed here was also produced by His Majesty's Stationery Office (HMSO) of England. The plan was to issue it when Britain was being invaded by Germany.  As this never happened, the poster was never seen by the public eye.  It was believed the poster was destroyed at the end of the war in 1945.

Sixty years later, a bookseller stumbled upon a copy hidden among a pile of books bought from an auction. A small number remained in the National Archives and the Imperial War Museum in London.   Sadly, there are no record of the original creator of the simple yet quintessential  Britishness of the slogan. I am seeing evidence of a late resurgence of this calming and reassuring message since the Western civilization is in such a panic over doomsday and the current state of affairs of the world.

Britain has a way of keeping its cool in a crisis.  They are known to solve their problems in a common horse sense kind of way and with a no nonsense attitude.  They have never been one to panic and rush about foolishly.  They sit down with a cup of tea and say "Keep Calm and Carry on!" and watch the rest of the world go by in their blind fury of turmoil, strife, pettiness, and greed.  

That is exactly what I will do also.  Keep calm and carry on.  As I go thru my personal journey while it is in an upheaval and not knowing where God is taking me, I can adopt this endearing British attitude towards my life.  I feel like I can fare better whilst I am learning about the Catholic faith and also what God wants me to do.  There are times when I have had my doubts and insecurities about my relationship with my fiance.  That is normal for any prospective bride to go thru so I been told.    There are also times when I feel lost.  Again, very normal when your life is changing before your very eyes.   So, doing these two things, going to Mass & keeping calm is better than being panicky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment