Sunday, July 21, 2013

Got Faith??

For those who grew up reading the bible, we all know the well-beloved scripture verse in Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  In other words, being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.  A lot of people struggle to practice this in their lives because we all want to see visible results immediately. That is just human nature.  So, how do we practice faith?

Faith encompasses all things, all areas of a person's life.  What does it do? It is having the courage to go against those who criticise what we do and meet very few who give praise.  For example, I was watching a movie about Saint Moscati, the venerated doctor of the poor.   He was a Catholic Italian doctor who viewed his practice of medical science as a way of alleviating suffering, not as a way of making profits, and would retire regularly for prayer. He also attended Mass daily, and would sometimes use a patient's faith, as well as the Catholic sacraments, in his treatments. He refused to charge the poor for his treatments.  A lot of people in his time didn't understand his faith and courage.  They criticized him.  

Faith can also help those garner strength to overcome their trials and tribulations.   Now that does not mean it will protect us from life's deepest pains.  We will face unexpected twists and turns in our best-laid plans. When things don't go as we hoped, a willingness to let go of our expectations opens the way to something new so we can see God present in our lives.  We, therefore, learn from our humanity and grow from it.  Something can awaken in us when we realize we have nowhere to go but forward. That is where our courage comes from.  God has a plan for each of us that is unique to our life only and it is on His own timetable.  We have to be patient and wait.  That is the hard part but once we overcome whatever life throws at us, it will become easier. 


I personally had a really hard time this past week as my fiance and I went through a trying time with us being separated from each other as he is still waiting on his business contract to conclude.  I got impatient and lost my faith.  So, therefore became angry with him and at myself for doing so.  It was my fault.  Well, I hadn't heard from him this past week.  I thought he was mad at me and gave up.  Come to find out he was in the hospital for being sick from extreme stress over his job and the strain it put on our relationship.  I  felt so badly about my faithlessness.  So, this past weekend, I spent time with God in prayer and repentance.   I asked for prayers from my friends. I also spent time in prayer during Mass today.   I felt somewhat better knowing that God forgives all sins even anger and impatience.

Yesterday,  I was looking for some pocket change for a friend of mine, and happened upon this little basket full of hairbands that I claimed after my late mum's passing.  I had seen this little cross in there before but paid no mind to it.  The Holy Spirit told me to take a closer look at it.  It turns out the front of it was silver with flower petals on it with the back being in gold with the inscription "Faith" on it.  I had to look at it more closely with my magnifying lens.  I was astonished!  It was a sign from God himself.   He was telling me to have faith! That sure gave me courage to keep going!! Thanks be to God!







No comments:

Post a Comment